September 08, 2012

Fed says no QE3... Really?

I am sorry for this abstract post in between. Actually idea of this post appealed to me so much that I postponed the idea of technical tutorial post for the time being.

Last week I was listening to recent speech of Federal Reserve's Bernanke where in he was saying that he is ready to start next round of Quantitative Easing (QE) if economic conditions need it. Now as readers will recall that we have had two rounds of these QEs already where Fed has printed (not literally) more than $1.5 Trillion to infuse liquidity and stabilize the markets. Europe followed it with a fancy name of LTRO and even China also played on with some heavy infrastructure investments. (If you really want to know how much is $1 Trillion, I really recommend looking at this) This money cannot be really printed and it stays in existence only in the form of Treasury Bills which the Fed buys. One common thing about QEs in the past has been increase in price of commodities and equities that they result into. We have seen rallies in almost all asset classes every time QE has been announced with the periods of higher inflation in developing markets.

Anyways, that is not what we want to discuss here. What prompted me to write this post is my doubt about the validity of Bernanke's statement that he WILL start QE3 if needed. Now we all know that Fed is not an institute who has taken an oath of speaking truth all the time. All the data they publish has to be taken with a pinch of salt and many time their data have been published selectively, with a lag or not at all (caution: these are unsubstantiated statements... obviously). So I have my own doubts that QE3 is already in play.

Why do I say that? Just look all around us... every asset class is suddenly on fire.

1. Gold


Gold has broken out of its long consolidation and gone up by more $100 in a very short time. This is when very few analyst were expecting it. Also see the improved volume.

2. S&P 500


S&P has recently made 4 year high. Care to tell me some fundamentals reasons that may have prompted this?

3. Crude


I am posting Brent Crude chart as it is more relevant to India. In spite of all issues in Europe, slowdown in China, Crude has seen some handsome rally.

Not all asset classes see positive movement with QE. Obviously if you print more dollars you will see its value going down. Let us see the Dollar Index.

4. US Dollar


Dollar which was inching up nicely till June and even in July and August suddenly lost all the steam and is now below its 200MA also.

If all this was happening in expectation of QE3, we should have seen a sharp reversal after Bernanke's statement. All these assets would have shown the shock over Feds decision not to start QE3 immediately. Did not happen...

Apart from above, just look at the interest rates, bond yields and everything seems to be supporting this hypothesis. This post is also not about discussing whether QE is a good thing or bad thing in the long term (we can have that some other time in a separate post) but what is more important is what does it mean for our markets and our trade strategies. As I had said in last few posts that I would have expected markets to go down in this week and start (slow) recovery sometime next week or so... BUT if QE3 is in play, then all our prediction go out the window.

We do not know if QE3 is actually in progress and it is just a guess. If our guess is right, then we do not know how much money is being printed, how it will be spent and how and when exactly it will be deployed. There are too many ifs and buts and in such case I advice weak hearts to stay away or bite only what you can chew. It is very difficult to predict how long and how far this rally can and will go. At most we can wait for some indecision or reversal signal. I will be on a lookout for same (not 24 hours) and will let you guys know if I find something.

I am happy to be finally able to complete this post and I can now actually look to pick up the technical tutorial post from where I left it. Hope to complete it and make it available to you guys during the weekend itself if possible. Please let me know what do you think of this abstract post and whether you will like more such posts in between.

One more thing, I just realized that this post happens to be our 100th published post. Now that is some milestone to feel good about. Honestly, I never thought that I will be able to continue to write for so long (its over a year) and will reach 100 posts someday. This is your comments that have prodded me into writing more without any doubt. Keep them coming and I will keep writing. Happy Trading.

6 comments:

  1. woow so detailed post...... hats off to ur knowledge trader... So many of my frends were asking me to visit this blog for quite some time.. now i understand .. why they follow u closely... thanks for the nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyy trader Congrats on the 100th post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting article.. i never knew this......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never seen a blog as this... so many posts .. so much inf..... congrats on the 100th post.. by the way who are you.... Your Articles and Views are of very good quality.... Appreciate your views..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 100th post sweety.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hi,
    Nice and good write up..do keep on..
    And Congo on your 100th Post..
    Do visit again
    Regards
    Bhavikk shah
    http://bhavikkshah.blogspot.in/2012/09/qe3-by-fed-to-print-480-billion.html
    & visit Home page
    www.bhavikkshah.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete